Friday 4 March 2011

Bird a Week 9/52 - What a Hoot!

Another pair of earrings this week. I have to admit these were inspired by the ceramic workshop I have been taking. Anna makes lovely little owls and these are my take on them.

I think these are happy owls :) I have called them What a Hoot!
Made using Art Clay Silver with a brushed texture and 2mm orange CZs for the eyes.  

My ceramic session last Sunday was a longer one and I went with an idea in mind. I will be honest that the first piece looks a bit strange. It started out ok...


Then I got to the finishing touches - that stunted palm tree thing is supposed to be a fountain! It is to hold a few flowers. Bear with me on this one, I am hoping that once it is blue it will look a little more like water! Of course I had to add a little bird!!


Finally I made another coiled bird. I did not have an idea what type of bird I was going to make so started off with a large sealed coiled shape and then the Make It Bird just appeared!! This is about 6 inches in diameter I think.

This Sunday is my last ceramic workshop. I have really enjoyed these. We will be adding glazes to some things and packing a dustbin full of others to smoke fire so we end up with a mixture of different finishes.

All very exciting!!

Here are some more Bird a Week Challenge entries

5 comments:

  1. I love your bird a week challenge. Is there a page where I can see them all together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tania, I am having great fun making them :-)
    I have them all together in a set in my flickr album here http://www.flickr.com/photos/joyfunnell/sets/72157625667380203/
    and also on facebook here
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=323777&id=714589601

    Joy x

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow joy, again these are very "joy"ful!
    love the basin with the fountain and bird, you make good progress!
    have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joy, I'm not on Facebook but I found the Flickr pages - beautiful!!! Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy your metal clay work! No matter what state of mood I'm in, when I visit your blog, I simply feel better! Lovely owls! The little orange CZs look just like Fire Opals that I've used in my designs. Tiny and frustrating, but bright orange color.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails