Sunday 30 June 2019

Ring a Month 2019 - June


Here is my ring for the Ring A Month 2019 challenge.

The theme for this month was...
Once Upon a Time. 

With such an open theme it should of been easy to think of something to make but my mind was a bit blank on it. Eventually I settled on Somewhere Over the Rainbow as my theme. 

I started out with a part made ring shank that I'd made earlier in the month as a demo. 


For the rainbow I made a solid semi circle...


...and a couple of textured sides. The printed design on the back of my business card is so handy for cutting things like this 😉


Once dry I joined the pieces and carved it into an arch shape. I could of cut out more of the arch shape in the wet clay stage but I wanted to try to line up with the texture as accurately as I could so decided to go with this method. 


Then I refined it. 


My original plan had been to have the arc of the rainbow the way up it is in the picture above on the top of the ring, but as I was working I realised I preferred the look of it the other way up 😀 What the heck -  go with the flow 😉


To add the rainbow colours I decided to set 2mm stones onto each side of the rainbow. First I drilled out each setting ready...


Then I attached it to the ring band.... and of course added some birds!!! 😀


I also added a couple of other things!! 
Every rainbow needs a pot of gold at the end of it...
...and a little silver stone at the other end???....read on... 😂


With the stones all set it was ready for the kiln.


After firing and polishing I added the 24k gold into the pot with keum boo method. Then I patinated and repolished it :D 

I was going to add some blue patina onto the birds but having tried it I preferred them silver. 



So my Somewhere Over the Rainbow turned into...

Somewhere Over a Down Under Rainbow!!! 😉
😂😉😂

But what about that silver stone I hear you ask...

...well every metal clayer needs an unlimited stash of silver clay at the other end of their rainbow don't they??!! 😄😄


And for those of you who are wondering - the leprechauns ran away after putting the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow!!! 😉


Until next time...

Have fun!!

Joy x



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails