Saturday 16 January 2010

Moonlit Sea


I haven't managed to photograph any new work for a few days so I thought I would show you this piece which I made a couple of years ago. It is made from Art Clay Silver and measures approx 6cm across. It hangs on a handmade silver chain.
.
This is a good example of what you can do with selective application of Liver of Sulphur. All the colours on this piece are from patination. I used a hot solution of Liver of Sulphur with a few drops of ammonia in it to give better colours and applied it just to the areas I wanted with a paintbrush. Where I have the gold tones it is just one application and then rinsed off. The pinks/reds come next by painting it again and to get the blues need several coats applied and then rinsed off. It is quite controllable as every time you rinse the piece it stops the colours developing further.
.
Another fun way to add colour to your work.

6 comments:

  1. wow - that is amazing... i love it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! I love the work you have done on the sunset's reflection in the sea - so realistic. I have used a pre-mixed patination product in the past, it smells horrible. I guess Liver of Sulphur is similarly whiffy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Aiya. Yes Sue, the draw back is the pong with Liver of Sulphur - definitely bad eggs!!

    I use it in lump form and just mix up how much I need as it does not last long. Of course adding a bit of ammonia just makes it even more smelly!!

    Best to work in a well ventilated space :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow wow wow, what a stunning piece, i love what you have done with the sulpher, it is amazing, love it,x

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful! i've not tried the ammonia. for me, it's been hit or miss with getting the great colors with liver of sulphur. thanks for sharing this tip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous stuff ! When are you holding the next group workshop?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails